Sex on the playa can be great fun - or really uncomfortable and awkward. Regardless of your preferences or kink - you can find it at Burning Man. Or even get out of your comfort zone and try new things. It is completely up to you.
First and foremost I need to say a bit about consent because some folks just don't understand basic things. Just because someone is naked, that doesn't mean it is ok to touch them. It may be, but you need to ask for consent first.
Rather than go on the following excerpt from the Bureau Of Erotic Discourse sums it up pretty well. Additionally I highly recommend reading all of their publications available here free.
- #1 Always ask before touching, even if you know them! It's polite, it's good manners, it will earn their respect.
- #2 Respect your partner's desires and boundaries. How do you find them out? ASK! Again, it's fun and sexy to find out a little about your partner before diving in.
- #3 Do not have sex with an intoxicated or stoned person... not only is it technically against the law, but it is potentially very hurtful to that person. And what fun it that??? If you have made a sober pre-agreement with a partner and go get fucked up, that's cool... but do not pick up a drunk, high hottie and take advantage! Be smart, take care of your partner, cover your butt, get sober ... Remember to leave that person better off than they were when you met.
- #4 Card your partner... OK, maybe that's exaggerating but please make sure your potential partner is of age. There are some darn hot underage peeps out there, so be aware! Again, we don't want anyone to get hurt.
- #5 If you hear or see one of our campmates in trouble, step in and ask if they need help! We would like it if you did this with anyone out there, but we absolutely expect it with our theme camp family. We take care of each other! In addition, consider buddying up when you go out for the evening. Guys watch out for the women, and vice versa! We do not want any of our family members assaulted this year.
- #6 If, god forbid, someone does get assaulted or feels threatened in any way, we want you to know right now that we support everyone here! No matter how it went down- tell us. There are amazing services available both at the Ranger Stations, Medical Tents and Emergency Services. We will go with you, we will hold your hand, we will take care of you. If some thing happens-- tell us! The same goes if something happens within our camp or outside of it. Remember, you are not alone!
- If you need help with any sexual assault, domestic violence or other threatening situation, know that Burning Man has developed a team of Emergency Services personnel to help victims of violence or abuse. Seek help at any Ranger Station or Medical Station.
Gender & Preferences
You will encounter burners in a range of gender identities, sexual preferences, and fetishes. Burners accept them all and there is no room for phobias there. If you receive unwanted attention / advances for whatever reason simply tell them you are not interested.
If someone is starting to act creepy or seems to be getting predatory - get loud and seek assistance. Most theme camps won't tolerate creepers and most burners will help. If it is really bad get a Ranger. Sadly, do not let the overall loving vibe of the burn lull you into a false sense of security - there are some predators that attend simply because so many folks are easy targets there.
Likewise don't let the loving vibe or intoxicants lull you into having unprotected sex. There will be just as many STD's at the burn as you normally find among 70,000 people - if not more since promiscuity is rampant there.
One thing that can make penetrative sex difficult on the playa are the levels of dust and filth. This is much less of an issue if you are in an RV and shower regularly. Ladies should be aware that UTI's are not uncommon when sexually active on the playa.
The cleaner you can keep your body and your living quarters the easier hooking up will be all the way around.