Leaving Black Rock City can be an ordeal if you leave during peak hours. The same road dangers I mentioned on the Entry page apply, but now you are sharing the road with a lot of tired, grumpy, hung over, exhausted people.
Important Points For Exodus:
- Get a good nights sleep before leaving.
- Avoid substance use (for obvious reasons).
- Avoid driving hung over - there are usually several severe wrecks due to folks falling asleep at the wheel on the highway.
- Make sure your shit is well tied down if on the outside of your vehicle. All that moop you see along the road is stuff that blew off of vehicles.
- One of the biggest causes of backups is folks dozing off when stopped on the exit road which blocks lanes.
- Exodus is 13 lanes merging into 3 then into one lane and there is a limit to how fast vehicles can move down that single lane highway.
- Depending on the exit road volume, the GPE (Gate, Perimeter, Exodus) Crew may pulse traffic. Pulsing allows you to shut the vehicle off when stopped. It doesn't get you out any faster, but reduces the amount of actual driving time and fuel burned.
- Once packed, listen to the radio for updates on current exodus time. You may be happier chatting with your neighbors waiting for a shorter exodus line than you would be sitting in that line.
- Obey all traffic laws. The LEO's will ticket you for breaking the speed limit - by as little as 1 mile per hour.
- If flying out, book your flight for the following day - planning to fly on your exodus day is a recipe for disaster.