Never leave camp without a cup - ever! Doing so may cause all sorts of psychological scars ranging from having to decline free booze to some good natured taunting about being cupless. No matter how poorly prepared you are, you are not truly destitute unless you have no cup! While any cup will do in a pinch, not all cups are equally good.
The Perfect Cup
Optimally your cup will have all the following features:
- A handle - essential for attaching it to your belt or backpack with a carabiner or other clip type. You don't want to have to hold it all the time do you?
- A slightly improved handle is one that doubles as a clip. These have the advantage of actually being able to clip onto your belt while containing a drink - useful for lighting a cigarette, digging through your pack, or whatever.
- A lid - First, a covered cup will stay much cleaner inside. The playa is a very dusty place. Secondly, if you are young / attractive and concerned about getting dosed / roofied this offers some measure of protection. Much less of this goes on than you might think, but a bit of caution should be used just like in defaultia.
- Insulation - the ability to keep hot things hot and cold things cold longer is a definite plus.
- Durability - The playa is absolute hell on gear. Avoid anything that doesn't seem bulletproof.
First thing to do is walk into HOTD bar and tell them you have no cup. They are usually located on the outer ring of center camp. You will find this entertaining if there is a fun bartender on duty.
Should you find yourself out and about in Black Rock City and cupless, proper cup etiquette is essential should you be lucky enough to be served at a camp or bar that has cups to offer. Failure to do so just shows you are the misguided product of a poor breeding program.
- Take It with You! These folks were nice enough to give you a drink in spite of your cupless state - don't repay their kindness by making them cart away your moop as well.
- Thank them profusely.
- Entertain them with a story about how you had a beautiful cup, but a jackrabbit attempted to mate with it and ran off with it or something equally preposterous. When it comes to this, the taller the tale - the better it will come off.
- Some bars will actually put your name and camp on the cup with a sharpie. Having it be collected as moop someplace should be a source of intense shame.
- Red Solo Cups may make a good country song or beer pong target, but in BRC they are a mark of shame for not having a cup. Don't compound that shame by being a mooper.
- Even if the above doesn't deter you from your path to hell, keep in mind that that the next bar you enter won't have any complaints about you having a plastic cup - so hang onto it.